Saturday, May 4, 2013

Outgrown Costumes, a Princess and a Dad

I feel like a big 'ole bucket of emotion this morning.  Joy, pride, regret, hope, joy, sadness are just a sample of words that describe how I feel - all at the same time.

Today is my daughter's 18th birthday.  Just so you know, she's the youngest of our children with 3 older brothers.  You can see where this is going.

She's actually one of my heroes.  You see, Lauren has a special place in her heart for people with special needs.  Every day at school for the last 3 years she has spent part of her day serving other students.  She's not intimidated or repulsed, she loves her special class mates and genuinely respects them.  If she had her way she would spend the next years in Honduras or Africa caring for the least of the least.  Who knows what the next few years hold for her?

Lauren is a great friend, hard worker and joy to be around, well, most the time.  There's no limit to how God will continue to use her in the future.  To be honest, I can't wait to see it first hand.

By the way, time flies.  

If you're the parent of younger kids you've heard this before from old people like me.  You've probably responded with a respectful "I know" but trust me, it's really true.  It seems like just yesterday  Lauren was twirling around in her ballerina outfit like a princess.  Now she's a full grown woman.  Who would have thought?  Like you, I was warned.

Enjoy the now.  It won't be here tomorrow.  It's as it should be.

She's outgrown the ballerina costume but the princess part??

Never

Happy Birthday Filia.

No comments:

Post a Comment