Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year - Make the Most, 2 Thoughts Part 2

Sometimes we need a good excuse to stop, remember and dream.  The new year season gives us a great excuse.

Yesterday's post was about the importance of stopping to remember.

Happy New Years - Make the Most - Remember

Maybe 2012 is a year you would love to forget, but even in the midst of tough seasons those of us who are Jesus followers can get a glimpse of God's goodness.

After taking time to look back it's exciting to look ahead and dream.

Dream -

This is a little different than New Year's resolutions.  Resolutions aren't all bad but it seems planning might be more effective than promising.  As you dream about 2013 maybe you should go ahead and make sure you have time committed to follow through on your dreams.  For me this simply means making sure my dreams somehow make it to my calendar.

Here are some areas you may dream / think about.

What is your plan for personal devotions / worship next year?

It's a good idea to have an area of focus for your time alone with God.  For example, this year I read the Bible all the way through (almost, I'm a little behind).  Next year I'm thinking about focusing on the writings of Paul.  Two years ago I spent the year in the Psalms.  It's helpful for me to have a plan and keeps me more consistent which is a non negotiable for me.

If you're married and have a family, what are your dreams for your wife and kids?

My baby daughter will be graduating from high school this year.  Although my 3 sons no longer live at home they still very much need their dad.  This year Julie and I celebrate our 25th anniversary (I have to bring it).  Here's the bottom line, there's a lot to think and dream about.  What about you?

Is there an area of your life that's been neglected and needs attention?

I'm not sure what this might be for me (I'm spending time tomorrow to think and pray) but it's a question I will definitely be asking.  Sometimes we move so fast we don't stop long enough to ask God about the areas left unattended.

There are so many areas to think through.  Allow God to guide your heart and mind wherever he leads.  Be open to the areas he wants you to focus, you may be surprised as God continues to lead you on this journey.

Don't feel pressure to perform.  God's glory is the goal and he is the one who does his work in us to accomplish what he wants.  We simply get to joyfully be along for the ride.


Ephesians 3:20, 21

20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

So, enjoy your time!  Let us know what you learn and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment