Thursday, January 14, 2010

Humility: Practical Steps Day 2

Many of us think of participating in spiritual disciplines in the morning, that's typically my thought process. The rest of the day is spent fighting to remember and ponder the truths God revealed to us from our focused time of prayer and meditation in the morning.

Honestly, I leak. God may say something to me in the morning but by my 4th cup of coffee it's forgotten. Ok, I'm trying to grow.

Mahaney brings out some interesting perspective on not only meditating on truth throughout the day to battle pride but a thought process before we go to sleep. He reminds us that we spend a third of our life asleep. That's a lot of time. Our need for sleep is in direct contrast to God's self sufficiency. He will "never sleep nor slumber".

Typically I fall asleep to sports center or playing "words with friends", perhaps there are more beneficial things on which to meditate?

Thomas Watson says this...

"When we have done anything praiseworthy, we must hide ourselves under the veil of humility, and transfer the glory of all we have done to God".

I like that, especially in light of a thought process as we fall asleep. You see, I either get stressed for not being good enough or gloat for something good I did. Both thought processes are focused on self and essentially prideful.

So, think about his. What were you thinking about as you fell asleep last night? Were your thoughts in alignment with truth? Is there anything you should read or think about as you fall asleep that might direct your thoughts for the next hours of rest?

Needing anything is humbling, especially needing sleep. It's a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment