Saturday, January 16, 2010

Humility: Practical Steps Day 3

I have to be really honest, my last post was kind of a challenge to think through how to prepare our hearts and minds for sleep. We spend 1/3 of our life asleep, so it makes sense we should think about it. I've done nothing, zero to put anything into practice. Somehow the last few nights I've found myself barely able to get undressed before falling asleep. This is something I really want to put into practice. If you or anyone you know does this well I would love the input.

This morning was spent thinking through how meditation on the attributes of God and meditating on our sin impacts our walking in humility. I've often thought that my pride was simply forgetting how great God is while forgetting how desperate I am.

I love this quote by John Owen...

"There are two things that are suited to humble the souls of men...A due consideration of God, and then of ourselves. Of God in his greatness, glory, holiness, power, majesty and authority; of ourselves, in our mean, abject and sinful condition"

That just about says it all. Here's some questions...

When was the last time you took time to meditate on God's attributes, to drink in how transcendent and beyond us he truly is?

When was the last time you took a deep look into the sin of your own heart, how deceitful and selfish you are?

Spending time in meditation on those 2 truths helps us on the journey of walking in humility.

May we be people who fight to see God and ourselves clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment